Williamsburg!

I touched base at home in Williamsburg and have spent the last couple of months finishing up a mapping project I started while in school. The Williamsburg Land Conservancy actually wrote a grant so they could hire me on as a GIS Consultant!!! The idea of the project is to figure out what areas the conservancy should target for conservation. In order to figure this out, I've basically become a data eating machine, finding and incorporating data on everything from endangered species habitat and forest cover to historical sites and agricultural land. Whenever a property has one of these features (and there are more than 10) it gets a point, and the property with the most points wins.

The project is especially exciting because Caren, my boss at the Conservancy, is ready to start using the data as soon as its done. The data is also going to be incorporated into the James City County 5 year plan, and hopefully will lead to amazing new areas being bought up and protected by the county.

Since I've been in Williamsburg, which is both my home and my school town, I've had the best of both worlds. Hanging out at my house with my mom, learning how to make amazing Mexican foods, while at the same time being able to visit friends that are still in school.

My next stop is in Abingdon, Virginia, a little town up in the Appalachain Mountains where I'll be working on sustainable forestry with Appalachian Sustainable Development. It sounds really amazing and I'll tell ya more about it when I get there!

PS: OBAMA WON!!!!!! :) Woot amazingness.

No comments: